Prescott income tax and paralegal services - family law, estate planning, business formation, and income tax preparation
Call Us Today: 928-778-3113

What to do if you find you owe the IRS money

Do you owe money to the IRS - Prescott Tax and Paralegal can helpSometimes people have the unfortunate experience of owing the IRS taxes.  Prescott Tax and Paralegal would like to help inform you of your choices.  If you found out that you owe income taxes, there are two steps that you should take:

1 . Increase the amount withheld by your employer.  For example, if you were withholding at Single and 2 exemptions, change it to Single and 1 exemption if you owed only a little. If you owed a lot, then change it to Single and 0. How do you do this? Fill out a new Form W4 and give it to your employer.

  • Self Employed?  You need to make estimated tax payments.  Divide the total amount of tax (Form 1040, Line 63) by 4. The result is the amount that you need to pay each quarter to the IRS. You will mail the check with Form ES.

2. Pay the amount that you owe the IRS. The IRS allows you to set up a payment plan. However, there is a fee for this service ($225 for a standard plan, and $107 for a direct debit plan) The IRS will charge you a .5% penalty for each month the original tax debt is not paid even though you have a payment plan. Additionally, you will be charged about 3% interest on the unpaid debt. 

  • Sometimes a better option is to pay the tax owed with a 0 percent rate credit card. This eliminates the continually accruing penalties and interest that the IRS charges.

Call us today if you have any further questions. Prescott Tax and Paralegal are ready to assist you with all of your tax filing needs.  Call us at 928-778-3113.


This article is for informational purposes and not intended as legal advice.  If you need legal advice, you should contact an attorney. 



Posted to: Helpful Articles


All Blog Posts


Please Note: We are NOT attorneys and do NOT provide legal advice. Your information is confidential, but we do not have attorney-client privilege. If you need legal advice, you will be referred to an attorney.

Arlene Rheinfelder, EA, CP AZCLDP

"I help solve people's problems. There is nothing more rewarding than helping someone through a difficult situation, and helping them to find a good resolution." 


Melissa Hill, AZCLDP

I love the challenge of finding a way to help each person's unique situation. It is never the same because each person is different with their own needs and wants.

Prescott Tax & Paralegal LLC on facebook
Prescott Tax & Paralegal LLC on googleplus
Prescott Tax & Paralegal LLC on youtube
Prescott Tax & Paralegal LLC on blogger
Prescott Tax & Paralegal LLC on yelp
Prescott Tax & Paralegal LLC on facebook Prescott Tax & Paralegal LLC on google+ Prescott Tax & Paralegal LLC on youtube Prescott Tax & Paralegal LLC on blogger